Page 8 - HMC 2021 HISPANIC MARKET GUIDE
P. 8

  Cultural Comfort Impacts the Trust Zones of Gen Z Teens and Parents, Ages 25–49
While 60% of Gen Zers and parents say, “I am truly comfortable with all people,” what about the other 40%?
All segments list “rich people” and “evangelical Christians” as being in their Top Five discomfort zone. NHBs and Hispanics list NHWs, NHWs and NHBs list LGBTQ+ people, and, surprisingly, “other Hispanics” top Hispanics’ list.
Cultural comfort is tested for Gen Zers when they are the only one of their segment, especially among non-Hispanic Black teens and teen girls, whereas Hispanic males seem to be most comfortable in that situation. Discomfort grows dramatically at school for non-Hispanic white teens (+46% compared to +21% among POC versus event/party data).
Culture Impacts Trust Zones
Trust circles, which have tightened over the last decade for all segments, vary among kids and parents, depending on culture, age, and experience with organizations and institutions. Also, our cultural comfort and discomfort can inform the size and scope of our trust circles, which differ by racial and ethnic segment.
Non-Hispanic Blacks have the tightest trust
circles and non-Hispanic whites the broadest. For example, nearly nine out of 10 non-Hispanic white parents allow their children to have sleepovers versus about seven of 10 for Hispanics and non- Hispanic Blacks, and POC parents tend to reserve those sleepovers to extended family, not friends. All segments trust their mothers the most, with Hispanics including their dads in their top trust circle, regardless of age. All place the least amount of trust in social media and politicians.
Dad Not Always Tier 1 With Non- Hispanics (NHB 13-49 + NHW P25-49)
Only NHW have Tier 2 institutional trust; teens for the armed forces, Parents for their kid’s school ($23B more funding)
   60% 40%
% Uncomfortable
“When only one of my race/ethnicity at an event or party”
“When only one of a few of my race/ethnicity at a new school”
Tier 1 8.1 – 9.0
Tier 2 7.1- 8.0
Tier 1 8.1 – 9.0
Tier 2 7.1- 8.0
Teens 13–17
HISP NHW NHB
Parents 25–49
HISP NHW NHB
 Mom & Grandma
 NHW NHB HISP
Females
Males
26%
34%
14%
Females
Males
38%
40%
19%
Dad
Grandpa, Siblings & IRL Friends
Dad
  31%
50%
39%
45%
57%
43%
Rom. Partner, Dr., Extended Family
 QD15B You attend a public activity or a party & you are the only person of your racial/ ethnic group there. How do you feel (% uncomfortable) QD15CT You start at a new school & are 1 of only a few persons of your racial/ethnic group there. How do you feel? (% uncomfortable) BASE: 1,198 13-17s
Dad
QY31 & Y32: How much do you trust the following people/businesses & institutions in your life? BASE: 1,220 25-49 Parents of 8-12 aged kids + 1,198 13-17s SCHOOL FUNDING DATA: CNN 2/27/19 reporting based on ED.build study
Armed Forces
Mom, Kids, Romantic Partner
IRL Friends, Dr., Partner’s Parents
Siblings
Kid’s School
Dad
8
HMC 2021 HISPANIC MARKETING COUNCIL
  











































   6   7   8   9   10